This 1956 Austin-Healey BN2 is a factory 100M model that was built on April 12, 1956 and distributed new in the United States. A restoration was performed in 1997 by Spyder Autowerks of Fresno, California, and included reupholstering the cabin and repainting the exterior in its original color combination of Healey Blue and Ivory White. The factory 2,660cc inline-four was also replaced with another 100M engine, and the electrical system was converted to 12 volt. Other additions include a Weslake cylinder head and 72-spoke Borrani wire wheels.
The car was reportedly refreshed again in 2007 by British Car Specialists of Stockton, California, and was acquired by the selling dealer in 2017.
The sale includes a tonneau cover, side curtains, a tool kit, a British Motor Industry Heritage Trust certificate, a 100M Registry Certificate of Membership, refurbishment documentation, and a clean California title.
The 100M was introduced in 1955 as a higher-performance version of the Austin-Healey BN2. The model featured larger carburetors and a high-lift camshaft, as well as high-compression pistons and a number of other alterations that increased engine output from 90 to 110 horsepower. It was also equipped with an upgraded anti-roll bar and a louvered bonnet secured by leather straps. Just 640 examples of the 100M were produced in 1955 and 1956 at the Longbridge plant in Birmingham, England.
This car was delivered new finished in a Healey Blue and Ivory White duotone scheme, and was repainted in its original colors during the 1997 restoration. Close-up photos of the body panels, shut lines, brightwork, and lenses can be viewed in the gallery.
Chrome 72-spoke Borrani wheels measure 15? in diameter and are secured with two-ear knock-offs. They were reportedly installed in 1997 and wear Vredestein Sprint Classic tires. The navy blue soft top and side curtains are depicted above, and photos of the included tonneau cover can be viewed in the gallery.
The cabin was originally trimmed in blue and was reupholstered during the restoration. A plaque provided by the 100M Registry identifies the car as a factory-built example, and additional features include a rake-adjustable windshield, chrome emergency brake and passenger grab handles, and a fire extinguisher.
The wood-rimmed Moto-Lita steering wheel features a factory-style horn button and turn signal switch. Smiths instrumentation includes a 120-mph speedometer and 6k-rpm tachometer, as well as gauges for water temperature, oil pressure, and fuel level. The five-digit odometer shows 16k miles, approximately 200 of which were added by the selling dealer.The factory 2,660cc inline-four was replaced in 1997 with an engine that was reportedly sourced from another 100M. Additional modifications include a Weslake cylinder head and a 12-volt electrical conversion. The engine wears a tag indicating that it is the original unit, though this is not the case. A photo of the tag from the replacement engine is included in the gallery.
The four-speed manual gearbox and overdrive unit are pictured above, along with the side-exit exhaust system and independent front suspension. Rear suspension is provided by semi-elliptical leaf springs and a Panhard rod, while braking is from Girling hydraulic drums all around.The British Motor Industry Heritage Trust certificate describes the car as a “genuine factory built” 100M, and the included 100M Registry membership certificate, along with photos of the 1997 restoration, can be viewed in the gallery.
Inspections Welcomed. We Ship Worldwide.
Contact us at 831.373.3131 or [email protected]