This 1958 Porsche 356A Speedster was completed on November 26, 1957, and remained under the stewardship of a single family between 1967 and 2022. The car is said to have participated in the 1987 La Carrera Classic during that span, which included 44 years on the Monterey Peninsula in California before moving to Las Vegas. Finished in silver over black leatherette, the car is powered by a replacement 1.6-liter flat-four mated to a four-speed manual transaxle. Additional features include four-wheel disc brakes, bolt-on reproduction Rudge-style wheels, a black convertible top with matching side curtains, fixed-back bucket seats, and a Blaupunkt push-button radio. This 356 Speedster is now offered on dealer consignment in Monterey, California, with a Porsche Certificate of Authenticity, a copy of its Kardex, a spare Type 616/1 engine case, a set of period wheels, copies of a hand-written notebook from long-term family ownership, and a clean Nevada title.
Reutter-built bodywork was repainted under previous ownership in its current shade of silver in lieu of its original Ruby Red paint. Exterior features include body-color bumpers without overriders, Talbot side mirrors, stone guards over the headlights, gold-color badging, and a black convertible top with matching side curtains. The last three digits of the chassis number are shown stamped on the engine lid and front hood hinge in the photo gallery below.
Five-bolt reproduction Rudge-look wheels feature bright beauty rings and hubcaps with two-eared spinners and wear 185/70HR15 Vredestein Sprint Classic tires showing 2017 date codes, while a factory-style spare is secured in the front compartment. Disc brakes were added at each corner in place of the factory drums in the 1970s.
The cabin is trimmed in black leather upholstery over fixed-back bucket seats with color-matched trim over the door panels, rear shelf, and upper dash. Additional features include charcoal square-weave carpeting with tan binding, black latch-and-link lap belts, a Porsche-crest shift knob, and a Blaupunkt push-button radio.
The two-spoke steering wheel exhibits wear on its horn ring and sits ahead of green-letter VDO instrumentation including a central tachometer with a 6k-rpm redline, a 120-mph speedometer, and a combination gauge monitoring oil temperature and fuel level. The five-digit odometer shows 37k miles. A badge affixed to the dash commemorates the car’s participation in the 1987 La Carrera Classic between Ensenada and San Felipe in Mexico.
The replacement 1.6-liter flat-four was installed in 1973 and features a case stamped with P*4096805*, corresponding with a Type 616/40 engine originally produced for a 1969 Porsche 912. Service in April 2022 included an oil change, cleaning and adjustment of the carburetors, draining of the fuel tank, and replacement of the spark plugs.
Power is sent to the rear wheels via a Type 644 four-speed manual transaxle. Number 17264 is shown stamped on the transaxle housing in the gallery below, matching the number listed on the Kardex and Porsche Certificate of Authenticity. Areas of corrosion can be viewed on the underside in the gallery, and corrosion is also noted to be exhibited in the door jambs.
An engine case stamped with number P*67834* is included in the sale and shown in the gallery below. Also included is a set of four wheels stamped with date codes from June and September 1957 that are shown close up in the gallery below.
The Kardex lists the original colors and component numbers as well as a completion date of November 26, 1957, with delivery via Hoffman Motor Car Company in New York. The Porsche Certificate of Authenticity is shown in the gallery below.
Copies from a hand-written notebook from long-term family ownership cover repairs and maintenance dating back to 1967.
All inspections welcome. We ship worldwide.
Contact us at 831.373.3131 or [email protected]